Saturday, February 6, 2016

CAA 2016 Award Ceremony photos

The Award Ceremony of the 104th College Art Association Annual Conference took place at the Marriott Wardman Park, in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of Washington, DC. Of course I am biased, but it was a great evening--a night when scholars, curators, and artists are acknowledged and celebrated for their work by their peers. For me, the event was an opportunity to express my gratitude to some of the people who in different ways contributed to my work and career: Obiora Udechukwu and El Anatsui (my teachers in art school who instilled in me the idea of art making as an intellectual journey); Lagos-based journalists Toyin Akinosho and Kunle Ajibade (who gave me my first opportunities to write art criticism in Lagos in the early 1990s); the poet Ada Udechukwu, and art historians Sidney Kasfir and James Meyer who made me a better writer; Hal Foster, who remains my model as a critic-art historian; and especially my two brothers and co-travelers Okwui Enwezor and Salah Hassan, with whom I began the critical journey in 1993 when Okwui convened a group of us to establish Nka: Journal of Contemporary African Art. They kept faith with that dream, particularly through the difficult years. Finally, the award for me is a celebration of the memory of the legendary artist Uche Okeke (1933-2016), a key subject of my book, who died in Nigeria on Jan. 5, the same day my award was announced. Opening up his archive to me made my book possible.

Anyways, here as some photos from the night.
Krista Thompson of Northwestern University, who won the Charles Rufus Morey Book Award, at the afternoon reception hosted by Linda Downs, the CAA Executive President

Krista with Dewitt Godfrey, CAA President

Linda Downs (r), with a CAA member

CAA Fellows

Krista receiving her award

From right: Artist Victor Ekpuk, moi, Cornell University's Salah Hassan, and artist Tania Bruguera who gave the keynote lecture

Eminent art historian and Columbia University professor, Rosalind Krauss, who received the Distinguished Lifetime Achievement for Writing on Art award

Audience at the reception

Selfie with Tania

From Left: Victor, Salah, art historians Terry Smith (University of Pittsburgh), and Frieda High Tesfagiorgis (formerly of University of Wisconsin-Madison 

Art historians, Eddie Chambers (University of Texas-Austin) and Anna Arabindan-Kesson (Princeton)

Salah and Terry

Selfie with Krista 

Selfie with Terry

Salah, moi, Victor

No comments: