The University of Ghana, Legon, is pleased to invite applications for the position of Occupant of the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies, to begin 1st August 2024.
The Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies was established at the Institute of African Studies, University of Ghana, in honour of Dr Kwame Nkrumah, Pan-African luminary and Ghana’s first president, for his contributions to the intellectual life of the African World, and for his projection of Africa on the world stage.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates in any discipline relevant to the study and understanding of Africa. The successful Applicant will be a scholar or public figure who has a strong understanding of African/Africana/pan-African Studies. The applicant should have a strong research and publishing record and should have attained distinction in his or her discipline. He or she may also be a public intellectual or artist well-versed in the indigenous knowledge and cultures of Africa.
Applicants should be committed to pursuing their own research agendas, collaborating and sharing their expertise with other researchers, and developing interdisciplinary exchanges.
Additionally, applicants should be ready to demonstrate strong community engagement and linkages in their research agenda and other activities during the period.
Specifically, the Chair will be expected to:
· Deliver public lectures, including an inaugural lecture, which the University will publish;
· Conduct research and/or create and establish a social or cultural project;
· Establish an active community linkage that strengthens the intellectual and cultural relevance of Pan-Africanism.
· Produce a publishable manuscript on the research emanating from the tenure, where appropriate;
· Prepare a report detailing the results achieved at the end of the tenure period;
· Assist the University to mobilize resources to grow the endowment for the Kwame Nkrumah Chair in African Studies;
· Lead in the organization of the Biennial Kwame Nkrumah Intellectual and Cultural Festival Conference.
Appointments will typically be for one academic year (August 1 – July 31) but with the possibility of extension for a second year.
Salary will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful applicant but will typically be at the level of Professor (disclosure upon shortlisting). The Chair will also be provided with:
· Return ticket or equivalent from his/her location to Accra.
· Airport pick up.
· Office accommodation.
· A Research Assistant and/or other support staff.
· Accommodation and medical insurance.
· A research grant
An applicant is required to submit the complete application dossier to the Registrar, University of Ghana, P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, Accra, Ghana (Hardcopy) or (Soft Copy).
The application pack should contain the following:
Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd.
a cover letter expressing interest,
a curriculum vitae,
a proposal for the programme of work to be carried out during the period of the tenure (maximum five pages).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and they may be invited for a face-to-face interview.
Closing date: 30 September 2023
For further information contact: visit website
Tel: +233 (0)302-213820/213850 extension 2153/2051
17th July 2023